Mixing Design Styles

family room with different design stylesThere was a time in design history when a room wasn’t really “done” until each element matched the next. If you were going for Mid-Century Modern, the entire space was filled with Mid-Century Modern. Fortunately, those days are behind us.

A great new trend is mixing different design styles in one room. After all, you are a multi-faceted person with many different interests. Why not design the same way and layer different elements of your personality into a room? This may mean coupling a thoroughly modern space with those antique lamps your grandmother gave you, or adding a sleek Korean screen to a vintage room.

Rather than confuse the mind’s eye with a dozen different styles, take our advice and adhere to the 80/20 rule. Use one specific design style for 80 percent of the room, and allow the other 20 percent to consist of punches of a different style.

There are design styles that simply marry each other well. For example, pops of Victorian architecture blend beautifully with a French Country interior, and an Arts & Crafts room can easily adopt modern pieces.

Finding traits the two styles may share can make opposites look as though they belong together. Imagine a room that is 80 percent modern with touches of metal, punctuated with a few art deco pieces. Finding even a sliver of common ground between the two designs reminds visitors that design is a matter of evolution.

Why not carry those elements of visual interest to your doors? Shake it up a little by adding unique doors to special rooms. Imagine a hallway in which every door is the same except the one leading to the master bedroom or study.

Contact us at Agoura Sash & Door so we can help you customize a look that will truly make your home one of a kind.

A Message to Our Customers

We are open and welcome our customers. However, you will either need to make an appointment, or, you may come during business hours but will be greeted at the door.  All visitors will be required to pass a temperature scan and wear a mask while in the building.

Thank you for your understanding as we all want to be safe during this holiday season.

Regards,

Agoura Sash & Door, Inc.